Fall into Fitness- 5 Tips for Fall Fitness

Sharing is Caring!Tweet about this on Twitter33Share on Facebook54Pin on Pinterest58Share on Google+0Share on LinkedIn6Share on StumbleUpon29

5 tips for Fall FitnessA change of season can bring a renewed time to rethink and restart.  Fall is a great time to start a fitness program because you have the chance to establish good habits to guide you through the upcoming holiday season and winter months.

Here are  5 tips to start making the most of the season.  Who knows, you might be in great shape before New Years arrives.

1. Take advantage of the weather

Fall can be a treat for the senses: the crisp air, apple picking, pumpkin carving, a gorgeous canopy of fall foliage, and the crunch of leaves underfoot. These months are a great time to exercise outdoors and enjoy cooler temperatures. It’s a great time to discover local parks and enjoy walking, hiking or cycling.

2. Fall is the perfect time to gain new physical skill:

Because you burn fewer calories when you begin a new activity (thanks to the learning curve). If you learn something new now, by next summer, you’ll have mastered the skill — and you’ll burn more calories doing it, just in time for swimsuit season.

3. Remember the 30-day rule:

It takes about four weeks for the body to adapt to lifestyle changes. That’s why people who give up on their fitness programs tend to do so within the first 30 days.  So, when the alarm goes off in the morning and it’s darker and colder, don’t roll over and hit the snooze button.  Try to stick with a program for a month, behavior patterns will have adapted and it will be much easier to stick with it.

Dealing with Darkness4. Deal with darkness

The best way to enjoy Fall is to exercise outdoors. But it is getting darker earlier, and staying dark later in the morning, so be smart and safe.  If walking or running outdoors wear a reflective vest or get reflective lights.  When cycling, affix a light to your helmet or bike.  A few years back I got a couple of Saucony USB led light, which I LOVE!  Each light will keep you visible from up to 100 yards away and a 1 hour of charge will give you a minimum 1 hour of flashing light. The LED light lasts up to 100,000 hours of service, and you can set it as a solid or blinking light. The best part is that its USB rechargeable so no need for batteries, ever!

5. Dress in layers.

When exercising outside, layer your clothing. Before your body warms up, you may feel chilled, but once the blood gets pumping, you’ll feel overdressed.  Lucky of us these days, there’s no lack of great weather gear.  Try to use clothing with wicking, often called “DriFit. This fabric wicks moisture away from your skin so you’re not exercising with wet fabric hanging on you.  Try three layers: The inner layer should be a moisture-wicking fabric, so it wicks away sweat and you’re not chilled. The second layer should be a warmth layer, and the third layer should be a protective layer (like a windbreaker or rain slicker, depending on the weather).

-There you have it, five tips to Fall  into fitness this season. 😉

52 thoughts on “Fall into Fitness- 5 Tips for Fall Fitness

1. Dr. K. Lee Banks says:

These are great tips! Fall is my favorite season especially because it’s cooler and more comfortable for activities like exercising. I have recently added some new exercises to my normal routine, so I definitely want to keep at it so I can eventually see results.

2. Akshay Malhotra says:

I loved your tips! Definitely helpful, specially the 2nd one is kind of inspiring to make best use of winters 🙂 You have a whole season to prepare for the next one, after all you don’t burn that much of calories. Thank you for sharing these tips with us 🙂 Enjoyed the article

3. Tatiana Sieff says:

Thank you for the great tips, Shannon. I love autumn. Nothing I love more than long walks through parks with lots of orange-coloured trees and crunchy leaves! I deffs feel inspired to get myself into shape before the winter chub looms in!

4. Saint Facetious says:

Layers is definitely the best advice for winter. Especially in Eastern/Central Europe, where they turn up the heat like crazy in all the buildings. If you don’t layer, you just get drenched in sweat.

5. juelzjohn says:

I need to adopt the 30-day rule.Amthe worst when it comes to forming any routine.
    For example, i usually start a workout routine only to give up after 10 days.
    Great tips dear

6. Cecilia Harvard says:

These are some fantastic tips for those looking to be more active this fall! I have already made the gym a habit and priority but love sharing posts like this with my friends and family members who struggle (;

7. Krade says:

Thanks for your tips! I was an athlete and I miss fitness 🙁 I’m in good shape but I’ve forgotten about that 30-day rule. This is the best time for me to start again. Thanks again!

8. Abbigayle says:

I was all about my fitness getting prepped for the summer but then as soon as my vacation was as done I ended up falling off lol I need to get back on it !! Motivation !!!

9. Ashley says:

Perfect tips! Oh how easy it is to hit snooze and cuddle in your blankets. But honestly the crisp air is so great! Here is Sacramento the crisp air is a wonderful blessing haha it has been hotter the you-know-what this summer! To hot to work out!

10. Tita Pacita says:

We don’t have fall here but it is definitely colder in the ‘ber months. I agree with changing up the routine too because I’ve experienced it myself, like no difference anymore. Here’s to getting fit by year end! 😀

11. Claire says:

Fall is perfect for running outside, listening to crispy fall leaves and stepping on them! Beautiful weather. Hopefully Houston stops being too hot and humid and decide to give us some cool weather.